Promote increased G7 political cooperation by identifying additional actions needed to enhance future routine ocean observations.
Fostering governance / policy agreements between G7 countries
Activity 2021 – 2022
Review and discuss governance, coordination, and funding mechanisms for ocean observations across the G7, and explore strategies and develop plans to strengthen sustained support for the ocean observing system.
- Document G7 national funding and coordination structures, best practices, and experiences; explore barriers inhibiting sustained funding and identify solutions.
- Document status of and barriers to research and data infrastructure sharing.
- Identify existing bartering agreements and explore ways and means to enhance them among G7 partners.
- Work with GSO-GRI to evaluate the status and arrangements for global ocean observing and how we can improve coordination and collaboration agreements, etc.
- Explore global governance and business models working with the GSO-GRI and the GOOS Governance Task Team and relevant global and member initiatives.
- Develop a high-level paper on the case for support for sustained observing infrastructure, drawing on best practices.
- Communicate the need for nations to work together to invest in a core sustained observing system, targeting the public, government representatives, and policy makers.
Lead Coordination Centre Office: UK