- This event has passed.
IOC UNESCO Integrated Ocean Carbon Research Workshop
3 May 2023 - 5 May 2023
The IOC UNESCO working group Integrated Ocean Carbon Research (IOC-R) workshop will take place from 3 to 5 May 2023 in Brussels, Belgium. The workshop is co-sponsored by IOC UNESCO, the G7 Future of the Seas and Oceans Initiative, Ocean Decade Programme Ocean Negative Carbon Emission (ONCE) and hosted by the European Commission and its EU4OceanObs action. Besides IOC UNESCO, IOC-R is supported by the Integrated Marine Biosphere Research Project (IMBeR), the Surface Ocean – Lower Atmosphere Study (SOLAS), the Climate and Ocean Variability, Predictability and Change project (CLIVAR), the Global Carbon Project and International Ocean Carbon Coordination Project (IOCCP).
Established in 2018, the IOC Expert Working Group of the Integrated Ocean Carbon Research (IOC-R) aims at filling knowledge gaps in relation to ocean inorganic carbon by designing and promoting the implementation of a new generation of integrated ocean carbon research.
The workshop has the following objectives:
- Review the IOC-R vision document and identify areas requiring an update,
- Identify a subset of emerging issues/knowledge gaps and/or areas to focus on in light of existing activities and articulate these in an updated vision document and other communications,
- Structure the revised vision document and identify key messages,
- Identify key actions in the field of ocean observation and research to fill the identified gaps in ocean carbon research
- Identify section lead authors and contributors,
- Produce a roadmap / timeline of activities.